Sunday, February 14, 2016

My Favorite Fictional Couples

Hey everyone!
This is not a Bachelor Blog. Be warned.

I thought that in honor of Valentine's Day, I would do something a little different.
I think love is the driving force in human life. It's one of the strongest emotions we can feel. It is also a huge subject for writers, and most people, in general.
I'm unafraid to admit I've never reallllly felt it, at least not romantic love, BUT...as a single gal with some time on her hands, I've had time to enjoy fictional love in books, movie, TV, etc....

Now, before I begin let me warn you: I'm only doing couples I can think of off the top of my head/shows/movies that I've watched. I know there are plenty others, but this is just a brief list...of like 30 couples...

So without further ado, here is my list. (in no particular order)

Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger - Harry Potter



Talk about a slow burn. Seven books worth, to be exact. That's thousands of pages. I think the term "otp" (one true pairing) never held meaning for me until I started diving into the Harry Potter world. Some people actually think Hermione should have ended up with Harry (ew, come on) or alone. In my opinion, it would've been fine if she ended up without a boyfriend...however, Ron Weasley is just so adorably clumsy and loyal he's a good match for a strong female character like Hermione.

Mia Thermopolis and Michael Moscovitz - Princess Diaries



OH GOD, my heart. These two were my absolute favorites at age 11. I read EVERY single book in the series just hoping (SPOILER ALERT) that they would be reunited one day. The movie made them even cuter. They're friends for a long time, and she's best friends with his sister, the problematic Lily Moscovitz...which complicates things, but eventually they are able to admit their feelings for one another, and we all breathe a relieved sigh.

Princess Leia and Han Solo - Star Wars



Ugh, the banter...the love/hate that turns to love. A tale as old as time. Han Solo is dreamy AF and Leia is sassy and strong. Aside from the overall theme of good vs. evil and finding one's true power...I enjoyed these two the most.

Monica and Quincy - Love and Basketball



My heart. I probably watched this movies forty times when I was fourteen. One of my favorite movie couples of all time.

Jim and Pam - The Office



Oh good, GOD...the agony of this one. From episode 1, I fell for Jim and Pam. We all did. Oh, and the writers (MINDY KALING) knew this and EXPLOITED it. They made us suffer for multiple seasons. We had to endure Pam's dumb fiance, Roy, the likeable yet non-Pam, Karen...back and forth, back and forth...and then FINALLY...we got some resolution. It's almost like you HAVE to like Jim and Pam. They're a huge part of the narrative of The Office as a whole.

Elizabeth Bennett and Mr. Darcy - Pride & Prejudice



This may be the ultimate pair up of all time, in my humble opinion. Austen's ability to write ahead of her time and make a narrative of a couple like this transcends even today. We see this love/hate even now in almost every single romantic movie or show ever written. Nothing beats it. They would definitely be the couple that wins "The Amazing Race."

Coach Taylor and Tami Taylor - Friday Night Lights



Perhaps my favorite married couple of all time. I wish they were real very badly. I'm sorry if I sound like a terrible person for not caring about Jason Street or Matt Saracen's drama. Just give me more of these two. I love their marriage and the way they get along. And so often, in dramatic television series, they play the wife and husband against one another and make one of them cheat or something. I appreciate the writers of this show, and the chemistry of these characters, for not ever having to do that to keep their relationship interesting.

Rory and Jess - Gilmore Girls



I don't care, I don't care, I don't care! They were my favorite and no one can change my mind.

Nicky and Alex - Orange is the New Black



I know they were never technically together BUT THEY SHOULD BE. Screw Piper, I'm sorry, but Alex needs someone like Nicky, and Nicky needs someone like Alex - simple as that. I know they're friends but I hope it becomes more.

Chandler and Monica - FRIENDS



Way better than Ross and Rachel, wayyyyy better. I love their secret hook up sessions turned love, turned marriage. I always felt for both of them because they both so hopelessly looked for love and never could quite find it, so when they found it in one another, it was amazing. Plus the entire season of them sneaking around was gold.

Seth and Summer - The OC



Don't judge me for putting The OC on here. They were great, from start to finish.

Peggy Olson and Stan Rizzo - Mad Men



UGH yes. I love their relationship and how it evolved over time. It starts with him meeting an ambitious young Peggy Olson, one of the few female copywriters on Madison Ave. He can't stand her, and she can't stand him, but eventually they become best friends...SPOILER ALERT....and then FINALLY in the series finale, they kiss. It's everything a girl could dream. We see our favorite power hungry Peggy and our favorite artsy slacker Stan finally get together.

Lafayette and Jesus - True Blood



The couples on True Blood were all kinds of fucked up. And I'm sorry but Sookie being with anyone but Eric on that show is wrong and I'm bitter. Thankfully, I had these two. One of the only somewhat functional relationships on that show. And it was so nice to see a favorite character, Lafayette finally open up to love.

Mindy Lahiri and Danny Castelano - The Mindy Project



Two people who couldn't be more opposite finally getting together. A classic.

Lisa and Ray - Sister Sister



Okay. So maybe they never got married, and were never technically together...but they were basically married in every way. I mean, who decides to reunite their adopted twin daughters by moving in together? Lisa Landry was everything to me. I know she went on to marry some other guy, but I always felt like they were a great couple even there wasn't any real romantic love there.

Frenchy and Doody - Grease



I'm sorry but he was the only T-Bird that was respectful. He really crushed hard on Frenchy, and although she didn't really give him the time of day till the end, I appreciated their relationship. I like to think out of all of those fucked up couples, these two were the ones that made it. At least, I hope.

Cory and Topanga - Boy Meets World



Just, the best. I could write an entire blog on them.

Rose and Jack - Titanic



Don't question this choice. Their romance made a four hour movie about an international tragedy decently enjoyable. My heart will go on. Also, Leo is bae in this.

Can't believe I just said "bae" I really am a blogger..

Vita and Thomas J - My Girl



This was everything to me.
I still cry about it.
I'm crying now.

Harry and Sally - When Harry Met Sally



We all know of Meg Ryan's capabilities to be an endearing romantic lead, but props to Billy Crystal. Who knew? Perhaps, the greatest friendship of all time. And then to top it off, they become a couple. Too good.

Kat and Patrick - 10 Things I Hate About You



These two. My favorite couple of 1999 for sure.

Stanford and Anthony - Sex and the City



God, I love these two. Their wedding meant the world to me.

Ted Mosby and Tracy..The Mother - How I Met Your Mother



I know there's been a lot of controversy over this, but I think the mother is hands down the best. I know he and Robin have a lot going on or whatever. But frankly, it's tiring. Tracy is the real winner, in my eyes. and the yellow umbrella. I mean, the whole story is framed around their relationship, and I think that should be celebrated.


Jamal and Latika - Slumdog Millionaire



I love this movie and I love that he does everything just to find his childhood love again. I cry every time.

Uncas and Alice - Last of the Mohicans



These two. They barely spoke...yet, the looks...oh gosh. The most.

Toula and Ian - My Big Fat Greek Wedding



UMMM what even? This movie was so cute and hilarious and they're so cute and I DIE.

Joe Fox and Kathleen Kelly - You've Got Mail



Perhaps one of my favorite movies of all time. Meg Ryan DOES IT AGAIN. We see corporate Joe Fox vs. Small Shop Kathleen Kelly fight over..everything. Their hate turns to friendship...tale as old as time...which turns to love.

Shrek and Fiona - Shrek



These two are just great in every way. A close second would be the dragon and Donkey. For sure.



And....in honor of the Walking Dead's Premiere tonight:
Rick Grimes and Michonne - The Walking Dead



OKAY I know they aren't together. They've never kissed or anything, but come on, these two are the leaders of the group. They're mom and dad as far as I'm concerned. They love and respect one another, so now all we need is for them to do it. *smirks*



Alright. I'll talk to you all tomorrow during your regularly scheduled programming: The Bachelor Blog.

Until next time,

Kaitie
xo


No comments:

Post a Comment